tel: 01494 713358
fax: 01494 718531
In the early 20th Century most of farm land on Penn House Estate was let to a number of different tenants. Indeed in the 1930’s tenancies were being created with zero rents, providing the incoming tenant farmed the land in accordance with good farming practices.
From the present day all the land has been farmed by the Estate itself. In 1980 this situation had been totally revised with the surrender of the last agricultural tenancy on the Estate. Several small farms such as Pennbury Farm disappeared from the agricultural scene to become residential sights. Puttenham Place Farm, Penn has become a beautiful residence with equine facilities. Traditional Chiltern Barns at Penn Bottom and Fagnall Farm have been converted into offices.
With the advent of Farm Business Tenancies the Estates farming business grew in size. Earl and Countess Howe became tenants themselves on neighbouring land to take the farm to its current area of 656 ha.
March 2008 saw the dispersal of the pedigree Holstein herd at Penn Street Farm. The Estate,
once the home of five separately owned dairy herds, ceased milking production for the first time
in living memory. Today, the farm is all arable producing wheat, barley, beans and oilseed rape.
Several small grass paddocks and some 20 ha. of parkland are available for grazing. These are particularly suited to horses as they are adjacent to the extensive bridlepath network. Enquiries about grazing licences should be made to the estate office.